Saturday, April 28, 2018

Day 4 - Marksburg Castle / Middle Rhine Castles

Day 4, Saturday, April 28

It's 0630 and I am sitting at an elegant, small table, linen covered, drinking wonderful coffee brought to me by a white shirted steward. I am in the Aquavit Lounge on the forward part of the ship, protected by glass walls while I watch the shore slide by. The Rhine was a sewer when I lived here 50+ years ago with no life in it. Fish are back and the shores are clean. One passenger wondered why his river in Alabama could not look like this. People also remark how clean Germany is. This is so luxurious, sitting here, being treated so well. I wish my kids could be here with us. We got a 2 for 1 deal, half price. I think they had some empty cabins in the cheap seats and I am glad we jumped on it. Our cabin's window is near sea level so most of it is underwater and near the crew quarters. The next deck up cost $3000 more than ours and the cabin is slightly smaller due to having a very narrow balcony which has not enough room to sit out on. We eat the same food and have the same treatment. I heard that the top deck cabins cost $10000. A castle is on the hillside right now.
It's 5pm and it's been quite a day. Stared with a steep climb to Marksburg Castle in Braubach. Makes me very glad I did not live in the Middle Ages. Try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-imJ2ukNxnw

Back to the boat which cast off at noon and we headed up the Rhine to Rudesheim. We are passing thru the Romantic Rhine which has more castles than any other river in the world. Lisa and I sat on the top deck and listened to the program director tell passengers about the castles and villages we were passing. Nostalgic for me since I have been on this portion of the Rhine many times when I lived here 50 years ago. It was normal weekend activity to head to Bingen and catch a steam boat to St Goar, climb the Lorelei, and have a picnic or eat at a gasthaus and boat back to Bingen. Lots of very good memories. Try this:





She is holding the key to the castle.

Marksburg Castle



 The Lorelei


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. Wish we were there. We picked up a new kitty today. She wants to know what the cats say in Germany.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so beautiful. How's the weather? Is it warm?

    ReplyDelete