Saturday, September 16, 2023

Wednesday, September 13 - Day 9

DAVE HERE: Being on Holland America is a great benefit for a trip to Alaska because on HA and Princess are allowed in there to remain for most of a day. We spent hours amongst the glaciers, most notably the Johns Hopkins. Words are inadequate to express the size and majesty of the whole landscape. The very rugged mountains, shrouded in clouds and mist, feed the ice river which ends in the ice cliffs at the oceans edge. I don’t know how high the face is but I viewed it from deck 12, the Crow’s Nest, highest viewing point on the ship and the glacier top was above my line of sight. The ship was allowed to remain within a few hundred yards of the face for hours, pivoting back and forth to give all passengers a chance to see it well.

There was also a lot of wildlife in the area: seals floating by on big ice chunks; sea otters on their backs swimming much faster than I thought they could; eagles in the air and riding ice flows.

Lisa - The ship spent a long time at the glacier and I could see it calving, where chunks of ice break off and fall into the water.  It made a noise that would indicate it was going to fall.  So beautiful.  The ship served Dutch Pea Soup out on the bow but I didn't want to lose my spot at the rail so I missed out.

No comments:

Post a Comment