Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Tuesday, October 12 - Day 40

Left Paul and Jeanine's house and got on the road to Mammoth Cave, KY. Shortly after we arrived it began to storm. Will do two guided tours into the caves and then head toward Great Smokey Mountains National Park.

Dave here – what a great couple of days. We stopped at Liz's so I could visit and Lisa could see their place. I love their rooftop deck. Did not want to leave the car on the street too long since it had some valuable items in it. Went to Paul and Jeanine's – good reunion. The next morning we took the car to a NAPA garage because we had been hearing a rubbing noise in the left rear wheel. $1,000 later that day, we returned to Paul's with new wheel bearings. At least we had White Castles for lunch. HINT: remain a purist – the new garlic cheeseburgers can't stand up to the originals.

Got to see all the brothers and sisters and some nieces and nephews from the area that evening due to Paul and Jeanine's gracious hosting. You guys are aces! Also got to see my old friend, Father Steve Humphrey. He and I had been in the seminary together four years in Mundelein. We have been in contact over the internet the last few years and finally got to meet in person. Steve's physical appearance had changed, as had mine, but he was the same gentle, kind person I had always known. I had not seen Steve since 1974 when I was still a cop in St. Louis.

Next morning we cleaned out the car and rearranged things and left for Mammoth Cave, KY. I will let you know how that goes since we are cave exploring tomorrow.


Lisa again - as I was sitting in the Mammoth Cave Hotel Lobby I started talking to a lady who has a brother, who has since passed away, that went to St. Lawrence University and lived in Canton. His name was Mark Jones and the woman I was speaking with is Caroline Jones. She lives in Lexington, KY, now, originally from New Jersey, and I was telling her that my aunt and uncle (Joan and Larry) used to live in Lexington and they had a friend named Peter who worked at one of the racetracks and that we also visited Keenland when we were there. Small world.

No comments:

Post a Comment