Thursday, October 7, 2010

Wednesday, October 6 - Day 34













Dave here. What a day!!! I will describe the Grand Canyon using the chorus of the old song, “Love is all around me.”

























Tornadoes all around me,

everywhere I go.

It's raining and it's hailing,

pretty soon will snow.


Tornado siren wailing

middle of the night.

Try to get some sleep,

pull the covers tight.


Dawn we're on the South Rim,

Light is dim.

Rain gets in my poncho

Feelin' grim.


It's raining and it's hailing,

now it's starting to snow.

Lightening all around us,

Lisa starting to glow.


Can't see in the Canyon,

full of mist and fog.

What am I doin' here,

Look like a wet dog.


Rain goes down my neck,

gets into my ear.

Wet down to my socks,

and in my underwear.


How can I top that? Good job Dave!

We did wake up this morning at 6 am to rain, fog and thunder and lightening. We heard sirens in the night but I thought it was in my dreams. One of the shuttle drivers said that at 2 am on his scanner radio that there was a tornado that touched down on I40 near Flagstaff, AZ was closed due to a railroad cars and tractor trailers being overturned.

Went for a walk along the South Rim and our first stop was Trailview Overlook, then Maricopa Point, Powell Point, and Hopi Point. It was raining/hailing so we decided to get on the shuttle and go to the end of the bus route called Hermit's Rest. The views on this walk were okay but were hoping for better weather as the day moved on. It stormed most of the morning. We had to check out of our cabin at 11 so back to room at 10 and packed the car. Went to the Maswik cafeteria for a variety of dining options.

It looked like the weather clearing so we took the shuttle bus again toward Hermit's Rest. It rained/hailed so some shuttle stops we stayed right on the bus. At 2:30 a Ranger was giving a talk on the California Condor, which live in the Canyon.

Went back to shuttles and took another route to the east to go to Yaki Point, which had a beautiful, expansive view of the Canyon. We wanted to get back in time to catch another shuttle to take us in the western direction again in order to see the sunset. Driver suggested Pima Point is the best place for that. I would agree because you could see the best view of the canyon looking east and then the sun went down with beautiful colors.

Some facts about the Grand Canyon:

The North Rim and South Rim are just 10 miles apart as the raven flies but 215 miles by road

South Rim elevation is 7,000 feet with temperatures in the 50's-80's in summer and 20's-50's in winter.

277 miles long, up to 18 miles long, and a mile deep

It's amazing that my PHONE takes better photos than my CAMERA!


No comments:

Post a Comment